Thursday 7 January 2016

1960's

The 1950s look continued into the 1960s – the elegant eyes, pale pink hues and loads of powder. There were three distinct looks in the 1960s, the classic, the mod and the hippy. The mod look is the cosmetic look most remembered from this beauty era. The Mod subculture was at its peak during the early and mid '60s, which brought about a more playful approach to makeup and the use of color. Voluminous hair, lots of eyeliner, and the pixie cut also made their way into mainstream style during this decade. 


popular eyeshadows
http://www.eyeshadowlipstick.com/4583/1966-alexandra-de-markoff/
Eye-shadows turned pale for a daytime look. In the evenings – lush primary shades like blue and green were in vogue. Foundation compacts out-sold liquid and cream foundations. In the Swinging Sixties in contrast with paler eye-shadows, foundations and rouges all emphasis went on eyeliners and lashes. False eyelashes applied with lashings of mascara were made particularly popular by Twiggy. Lip liners were rarely used by younger women, who now preferred a softer line.
The cat eye look for eyes of the 1950s disappeared and emphasis went back to lashes. Now with false eyelashes taking on a whole new popularity. The 1960s was the first ‘retro’ decade with styles in both clothes and makeup harkening back to the 1920s, however with a more waif like appearance. Lips were pale to help emphasize eyes. For a time lipsticks took second place to the eye.



In the late 50s the make up company Gala had introduced pale shimmering lipsticks with added titanium.  Later Max Factor brought out a colour called Strawberry Meringue which was a pastel pearly pink.  They really caught on in the sixties as young girls were frowned upon if they wore brazen red lips, so the softened pink and peach colours were acceptable initially to parents, but then became a trend.

Magazines taught step by step how to use recently introduced lip brushes and young girls began to blend and mix their own lip colours often having first blotted the lips out with Max Factor Pancake make up. 
http://www.fashion-era.com/make_up_part_2.htm#1960s_Make_Up



twiggy
http://www.collegefashion.net/beauty-and-hair/beauty-by-the-decade-the-1960s/

 
Pop Art

Pop art is an art movement that emerged in the 1950s and flourished in the 1960s in America and Britain, drawing inspiration from sources in popular and commercial culture such as advertising, Hollywood movies and pop music. Young artists felt that what they were taught at art school and what they saw in museums did not have anything to do with their lives or the things they saw around them every day. Instead they turned to sources such as Hollywood movies, advertising, product packaging, pop music and comic books for their imagery.


popart of maryln monroe
http://carletonsart.blogspot.co.uk/
 
Pop Art was brash, young and fun and hateful to the artistic establishment. It included different styles of painting and sculpture from various countries, but what they all had in common was an interest in mass-media, mass-production and mass-culture.

If there was one artist who personified Pop Art it was Andy Warhol. He originally worked as a 'commercial artist' and he looked at things from from the imagery of mass-culture: advertising, comics, newspapers, TV and the movies.

Warhol clearly shown the spirit of American popular culture and elevated its imagery to the status of museum art. He used second-hand images of celebrities and consumer products which he believed had a dullness that made them more interesting. He felt that they had been stripped of their meaning and emotional presence through their mass-exposure. Usually destroying the values of the art establishment, Warhol was fascinated by this dullness which he celebrated in a series of subjects ranging from celebrities to soup cans. Whether it was a painting of 'Campbell's Chicken Noodle' or a 'Car Crash', a portrait of 'Elizabeth Taylor' or the 'Electric Chair', Warhol's detached approach was always the same: "I think every painting should be the same size and the same colour so they're all interchangeable and nobody thinks they have a better or worse painting." Warhol saw this aesthetic of mass-production as a reflection of contemporary American culture:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coca Cola, Liz Taylor drinks Coca Cola, and just think, you can drink Coca Cola, too. A coke is a coke and no amount of money can get you a better coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the cokes are the same and all the cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."




Cocacola
http://m.repubblica.it/mobile/d/sezioni/cucina/2015/01/09/foto/cibo_arte_mostra_brescia_seicento_warhol-2441103/1

moodboard
1960’s Fashion show- 10/12/15
Products used:
o   Moisturiser
o   Concealer
o   Foundation
o   Powder
o   Eyeshadow
o   Lip stick
o   Lip pencil
o   Eyebrow filler
o   Contour
o   Eye liner
o   Eye lashes
o   Mascara
o   Pigment  

facechart
 
Today we had to do make up for a fashion show that a dance crew where performing at. The dance crew that myself and a few others were assigned to was 1960’s themed, and there were 7/8 dancers. They all needed the exact same makeup, so as a group we had to collaborate and decided on a design that we were going to do. We decided to go for the traditional 1960’s Twiggy look with the cut crease and drawn on eyelashes.
 
To begin this look, I started off with cleansing and moisturising the skin getting it ready for the heavy makeup. I then concealed any blemishes or imperfections on the skin for it too look flawless under the lights for the fashion show. I then matched her skin tone with foundation and applied a heavy coverage to the face. Because they are dancers, I wanted to make sure there would be enough on without them sweating it off and so the lights wouldn’t wash away the colour. I then contoured the cheeks quite lightly, just to give them a shadow glow.
 
I then moved onto the eyebrows. My model had quite think untidy eyebrows, which made it very difficult to create a shape from them as she did not want me to pluck them. This was a very challenging task, because in the 60’s, many women would shave off their eyebrows and pencil them in to get them perfect and natural looking. Untidy eyebrows where not in the fashion, but I had to try to make a shape suitable from them.
 
After the eyebrows, I started on the eyes. I began with a base colour, a deep nude colour, then I drew with black eye pencil a semi-circle around the crease of the eye to give it a cut crease look. I then started to add black on the outer side of the circle, and smoked the eye outwards. I started the black quite light, then gradually built it up and up until I was satisfied with the colour. Once the outer side was finished, I then added white all over the lid of the eye, meeting the black pencil liner. I then went over the line with an eyeliner marker to make it more pronounced and stand out more. With the marker, I also drew along the lash line, and created a flick. I choose to do this because I was inspired by the Twiggy look, and these are the colours that she used for her makeup. Whenever I think of the 60's, I always think of the black and white cut crease, so I thought it fitted well.
 
One of the most iconic elements of the Twiggy look was the bottom eyelashes that were drawn on, so we were sure to include them in the look. I found this to be one of the toughest things to do as you have to use a liquid eyeliner, and draw on think eyelashes that match on both sides on the bottom eyelashes. I found this task very difficult and found myself repeating the process again and again trying to get them perfect. I then added eyelashes to the upper eyelashes to give the complete look.
 
After the eyes, I found myself having to tidy up the face makeup under the eyes, because of the black eyeshadow falling under the eyes and creating a mess to the face. If I were to do this again I would definitely start with the eye makeup, then do the face after because I found myself wasting a lot of time to get this right again, and we were on a timescale.
 
I then attented to the lips. Lips back in the 60’s where very pale and natural looking. The bright red colours where gone and it was now nudes or light pink colours. So I began with outlining the lips with a pink colour liner, then filling them in with a nude lipstick. I felt that the colour wasn’t very nice with the overall look so I then decided to use a pink eyeshadow on a fluffy brush to gentally brush over the lips to give them a more pinkish colour than nude.
 
I am very proud of my overall look and felt it looked very well and that it suited my model especially well. If I were to do this again I would change the order in which I performed the layout of the makeup, but I felt it worked out well in the end.
 

1960s dance look


9/11/15 -1960’s beehive

 

In today’s lesson, we learnt how to do a 1960’s beehive hair style. Like the previous lesson, we split the hair into sections so it is easier to work with and it makes everything less confusing. I left about two centimetres of the hair all around the front out, because I used this part of the hair to be the smooth over layer so it looks neat. I then sectioned the hair into three parts again, from the middle to behind the ears, and then the back section.

 

I started by back combing the hair so it gave it volume and height for the beehive as from researching this era, it is clear that they had very dramatic and large hair. I then started to create the shape by taking a small section from each side, and clipping it together at the back, then repeating this over and over again until all the hair was up and it was the shape I wanted. I then took the piece that I left at the front and pulled it over all the backcombed hair and pinned it on top so it finished the look nicely and gave it a smooth look. We could leave the back section down, but I wanted mine to be a complete beehive so I added all of the hair.

 

I really liked this look, however if I were to do this again I would need to work more on backcombing to get the perfect shape and height as I think my completed look appeared quite flat and I think I could  do better with practise.
 

1960s beehive 







No comments:

Post a Comment