Thursday 3 December 2015

1950's


Women’s roles were greatly changed in the 1950s, with the men coming back from war and taking their jobs back. Women had, during World War II, taken men’s jobs while they had been away at war. After the war, many women wanted to keep their jobs. Many of them became wives and mothers as the men came back from the war.  In 1957, 70% of working women held clerical positions, assembly lines or service jobs. 12 % held a profession and 6% held management positions.
http://1950s.weebly.com/womens-roles.html


Maryln Monroe
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/specials/archive35/beauties/marilyn-monroe.jpg

Following from the 1940s wartime austerity , the 1950s was a time of growth and prosperity. Many economies around the world blossomed and grew. Consumers had more spending money available and the end of rationing opened up the way for new products. New colours and makeup products appeared, and the luxury cosmetics market took off.

After the losses during the war, there was a shortage of men – possibly encouraging women to “make the most of themselves” in order to snag a husband. Thanks to more labour-saving devices on the market, women had more time to themselves and wearing makeup was simply part of a woman’s routine and an essential part of being feminine

Television broadcasts had resumed in the UK after total suspension during WWII, and by the early 1950s most of the country could now pick up a TV signal, thanks to a post-war effort to increase signal coverage. This, along with Queen Elizabeth’s coronation in 1953, resulted in a sharp increase in TV ownership during the 1950s. Movie stars continued with their strong influence on the masses. Leading ladies like Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Doris Day and Elizabeth Taylor had an enormous impact on styles, as did Betty Grable and swimmer Esther Williams – two of the biggest box office draws of the 1950s.


 

The age of makeup entered its golden age in the 1950’s. For the first time, unknown models began to rival the big Hollywood names in becoming the ‘face’ of makeup brands. In 1949-50 Hazel Bishop unveiled to much excitement the first non-smear lipstick. Revlon followed this with their own by own non-smear lipstick’ in 1953. The ruling shades were pastels in the 1950s and pink lipstick replaced the reds for a time as the lip color of choice – especially amongst younger women. Audrey Hepburn once declared that she” believed in pink!”
 
 
Lip colours

 

A really glamorous decade for women’s makeup. Creams were the in thing in foundations and shadows. A much heavier makeup look for the face was in order with liquid foundations and loose powder appearing on dressing tables again. It was the era of the ‘mask effect’.  The eyeshadow look of this decade was much more minimal than in previous decades, eye-shadows now containing shimmer and a huge palette of colors. Revlon produced ‘eye-shadow palettes’ with two or three shades to create a specific look. A soft but definite eye line and eyebrows a slightly darker shade than the natural.



 
Grace Kelly
Max Factor was still the leader in invention and made products women wanted to use, inspired by the actresses who also wore Max Factor off screen. In 1953, the first all-in-one base and powder, Creme Puff, is introduced by Max Factor. In 1954, they launch the first retail concealer, a flesh-coloured stick called Erace.
In 1952, Boots relaunched its No. 7 range, which had almost disappeared during the war. The black and gold packaging was influenced by Hollywood. Avon came calling for the first time after cosmetic reps were introduced to call round at people’s homes to demonstrate and sell the makeup.
Popular eyeshadows
http://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1950s-eyeshadow-colours.jpghttp://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1950s-eyeshadow-colours.jpg
 
 
The 1950s saw the emergence of tube mascara with a wand – Helena Rubinstein and Max Factor both lay claim to being the creator of the new wand. Either way, mascara was every woman’s favourite. Block mascara and cream mascara in a tube were still used and applied with a little brush. Block mascara needed activating with water, but most women would simply spit onto the block, mix to create a liquid paste and apply. Mascara was mainly applied to the top lashes only. It came in various colours, from the standard black, to brown, navy blue, emerald green and purple.
 
Moodboard





1950’s look – 28/9/15
Products used:



o   Moisturiser
o   Concealer
o   Foundation
o   Powder
o   Highlighter
o   Eyeshadow
o   Eyeliner
o   Lip liner
o   Lipstick
o   Eyebrow filler
o   Eye pencil
o   mascara



 

Today we picked a decade from the 1900’s onwards and created a design that was relevant to that period. I decided to pick the 1950’s for this look because I love the makeup, its classy and very feminine. I also chose this because of the inspirational and iconic people such as Marilyn Monroe who was a symbolic figure of the 50’s.

 

To start, I cleansed and moisturised my models skin, prepping it for the application of the makeup. I began by concealing the imperfections and dark areas on the face to get the flawless complexion that was so memorialised in the 50’s. I then applied foundation all over the face matching the natural skin colour and set it with powder so it wouldn’t wear off. I added a small hint of contour very lightly on the cheeks as it wasn’t a big thing in the 50’s but I felt it suited my look well.

 

I then began with the eye makeup. I didn’t want to do the ‘Marilyn’ look with the white eyeshadow as I wanted a modern twist on the look so I decided to do a smokey brown look. Using a dark brown in the crease I blended it out to give it the smokey look, then I used a lighter shade on the lid. I then used a black eyeliner marker to give the eye the iconic flicks of the 50’s that was symbolic to this era. I then finished the eyes with mascara on the eyelashes.

 

 

Face chart-1950s
I then moved onto the eyebrows. Eyebrows in the 50’s were thickened and darkened with a sharp arch in the centre, so I used a dark brown colour to fill them in. I then attended to the lips. I applied a red lip liner along the lip line and filled them in with a red lipstick. From researching this era, I found that red lipstick was a very popular colour in the 1950’s which is why I choose to use it because it linked in with the era.

 

Another trait that was very recognizable for the 50’s was the beauty mark. Marilyn started off the trend with her beauty spot, and it was forever remembered as being one of the main makeup traits for the 50’s. So of course, I used a brown eye pencil to recreate the beauty mark.

 

I feel like my 1950’s look was very successful and I am very pleased with how it turned out. If I were to do this look again however, I would like to give the white eye shadow a try, like the traditional Marilyn look instead of recreating it with a modern twist. I loved this look and I thought it looked lovely on the model. Overall I am very pleased with the look I created. If I were to do this for tv, I would make sure to have full coverage with foundation as the cameras would pick up any blemishes or imperfections.

1950's look



 

 
19/10/15- 1950’s hair roll
 
Today in lesson, we learnt how to complete a 1950’s victory roll look. To carry out this look, I used a comb and hair pins. I began by sectioning the hair into three sections, from the middle to behind the ears on both sides, then the back section. I had to think of the shape I wanted the rolls to be in and decided to have two on either side of the head, others in the class choose to do a side parting and have one big roll across the front which looked very nice and fitted the era, however I did prefer the two rolls on either side.
 
I firstly backcombed the hair getting it some volume so it wasn’t flat to the head, then I used a brush to flatted on the top so it didn’t look messy or untidy. I then used my comb and my fingers to get the shape of the roll, then rolled the hair into a tight loop and pinned it with grips. I had to be careful on where I put the grips because I had to make sure they weren’t on show, so they must be placed discreetly in the hair. To set the hair I used hairspray so it wouldn’t become loose. I then repeated this for the other side.
 
For the back section of the hair, I rolled it underneath and pinned it so it created a short bob look. I loved this look and thought it was perfect for the era, if I where to work on a TV show like ‘The Hour’ that was based in the 50’s, I would definitely use this style, with lots of pins and grips and set it with hairspray to keep it in place for longer.
 
1950's roll

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment