Friday 8 January 2016

1970's


If you look at the clothing of the 1970s, it was sort of “out there”, whereas the 70s makeup trends of the decade were actually quite subtle. Women looked pretty and natural though there was always a little splash of colour that brightened up the face that gave a playful or mysterious look.

magazine page showing eyeshadows
http://prettyintheeast.com/2014/06/20/makeup-through-the-ages-1970s-inspired-look/

The heavy matte foundations of the previous eras, e.g. the long false eyelashes that Twiggy donned in the 1960s, lip liners, dark or bright lipsticks, and heavy mascara, where all gone in the 70’s

Instead, women who followed the 70s makeup trends looked almost luminescent, a tradition that has begun to re-emerge in the world of cosmetics. Foundation was never thick or heavy and matched the skin tone as best as possible.  Makeup in “nude” colour that simply evened the skin tone was the best seller because women were hoping to achieve a very natural 70s makeup look. If it appeared that a woman was wearing no makeup at all, she had met her goals.

In some cases, women went for a tanned look, using a natural-looking bronzer to achieve the effect. For blush, most makeup experts recommended a rosy look and women achieved this by using a translucent gel blush rather than a powder blush. This type of blush added a natural touch of colour to an otherwise neutral palette but also gave the skin a healthy glow.

When it came to choosing eye makeup, women of the 70s inhanced their eyes and drew attention to them as much as possible.  Eye shadows were usually very colourful shades, especially blues and greens, but neutral pinks and browns were chosen as well.
 

traditional eyeshadow colours of the 70s
http://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/womens-1970s-makeup/
 
Eyeliner was another important tool in every woman’s makeup bag. This beauty tool was used to draw the cat-like lines on the eyelid. Liner added a kind of mysterious look to the face and was used liberally. Mascara, in contrast, wasn’t used very often in the 70s. If it was, it was employed to lengthen the lashes but not for thickening.

On the lips of a typical 70s women, you would never see shades of lipstick that contained the words red, plum, or raisin. On this part of the face, neutral was the name of the game as well. Most 70s women preferred to draw more attention to their dramatic eyes so they chose lip gloss or frosted lipstick in very muted shades of pink, peach, or even nude. Lips were almost transparent and lip liner was a definite no-no.

 

iconic makeup
http://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/womens-1970s-makeup/

 Hippie Movement

The hippies where a period in the 60’s in which people, mainly younger people, were trying to break away from societies’ values that were being placed on them.  They did this by protesting what they saw wrong with the world, including the Vietnam war.  Peace became the ultimate message of the 60’s.

The hippies Movement began in San Francisco and spread across the United States.  Many hippies relocated to a certain area of San Francisco known as the Haight Ashbury District.

Drugs were a huge part of the hippie movement, marijuana being the most commonly used drug of the decade, followed by LSD.  The Hippies also took the form of dropping out of society to enforce the changes they felt necessary.  It was an era of rebellion.
https://vietnamartwork.wordpress.com/what-is-the-hippies-movement/

 
moodboard
 

1970’s look – 2/3/16
Products used:
o   Moisturiser
o   Concealer
o   Foundation
o   Powder
o   Contour
o   Eyeshadow
o   Eyebrow filler
o   Eyeliner
o   Eyelashes
o   Lip gloss
facechart


Today I had a two-part assignment for a period hair and makeup look of your choice. The first part, we had to pick an era that we had never done before, and come up with a design that was relevant to the era. I choose 1970’s because I had never done it before and I wanted to do something different.
 
I started by cleansing and moisturising my models skin, prepping it for the makeup. I concealed all blemishes and dark areas under the eyes to give a flawless look in the photos. I then matched foundation to my models skin tone and applied all over the face then set the foundation with translucent powder. I then added a little contour on the cheeks and forehead of my client, not too much, but enough to create a shadow in the images.
 
I then began filling in the eyebrows. I was happy with my models natural eyebrows because in the 70’s, eyebrows were kept quite bushy, but not untidy, which my model matched perfectly so I just had to fill them in a little bit to get a nice shape to them.

 

I moved onto the eyes after the brows. I started with a light nude colour as my base, then I applied a gold shimmer eyeshadow to the lids, and brought the colour right up to near the eyebrows. I then added a pink shadow to the very bottom of the eyebrows, going into the eyebrows but not enough to take away the colour from them. I then brought the pink down at the inner corner of the eye to the tear duct. I also applied the pink eyeshadow on the lower lash line, then finished the eyes off with winged eyeliner, eyelashes and mascara. I used these colours because they are bright colours, but not outstanding. I wanted this to be a subtle but clear 70s look so I thought these colours were perfect.
 

I then went on to the lips. I didn’t want anything bold for the lips in this look, so I simple applied a pale pink eyeshadow to the lips, then added lip gloss for a glossy effect.
 
I absolutely loved this look and how it turned out on the photos. I wanted to do something a bit different, but stay within reason to the 70’s as they experimented with colour because of the ‘hippy’ movement.
1970s traditional look
 

 
For the second part of this look, I had to then change the period look, and change it into a current trend version. I decided since the first look was quite subtle, I would change it completely and make a version that is very bold and bright.

 
facechart- current trend


I removed the eye makeup from the previous look, and instead of using colours like light pink and gold, I would use very bold purples and blues. I used these colours because i wanted the look to be bright and stand out, and to be completely different from the first one. Through researching this era I linked the bright colours through the information I founded as they would have used a lot of blues and purples. I started by using a deep purple/blue colour on the crease and blended it around the eye. I then used a shimmer purple over this to create a shinny effect. I then added a dark bright blue on the corner of the eyes and blended it in with the purple. The shimmer from the purple then added shimmer to the blue. I then used a lighter blue from the tear duck to around the middle of the eye until it met with the darker blue and blended them two together. I then put white in the tear duct so the look didn’t make the eyes look small. I then blended some of the colours I used on the top of the eye to the lower lash line. Then I finished with a bolder eyeliner with a flick, eye lashes and mascara for the lower lashes.

 

After applying the eyeshadow, I found that a lot of the pigment had fallen onto the face, which meant I could try to gently brush it off, or I could remove the whole face makeup and start again. I tried to brush it off but it smudged and created a worse mess than it was in the first place! So I had to remove the whole face and start again, with concealing, foundation, powder and contour. I made the contour much stronger in this second look because I want it to be much different that the first look, and I didn’t want to go for subtle in this one.

 

For the lips, I removed the shinny gloss, and used a dark purple lip liner to outline the lips, which I then filled in with purple lipstick. I then used the shimmer purple eyeshadow on a fluffy brush and gently stroked over the lips to create an almost neon shimmer effect on the lips.

This was one of my favourite looks to do because I found it very fun to do and it was different to all the looks I’ve done before. I wanted to show the difference in the two looks clearly which I believe I have done well. I think this look worked well and I am very proud of it. If I were to do this again I would change the order in which I perform each element of the makeover as it wasted time and products.

1970s changed to current trend

No comments:

Post a Comment