Thursday 12 November 2015

1930's!


With the close of the 1920s came the crash of the stock market (October 1929) and with that came an expedited change in attitude about hair and makeup. Gone were the days of the rebellious flapper, replaced instead by a softer more feminine look. A softer, more feminine style replaced the boyish, flapper look of the twenties. The Great Depression ushered in a philosophy of thrift and admonished the reckless spending associated with the roaring 20s.

Makeup was less severe and hairstyles were too. Soft feminine curls replaced the sharp boyish flapper look. The stress of the depression was often alleviated, if not temporarily, by escape into a dark movie theatre where the glamorous Hollywood movie star worked her magic on defining fashion even further. The stylish ’30s was the decade of Art Deco and Hollywood celebrities, with actresses such as Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo starring on the silver screens. Just look at the images of Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Myrna Loy, Ginger Rogers and Mae West to get an understanding of what women found fashionable during this era.

 


inspiring makeup
http://dazzlingal.com/2011/12/05/dazzlin-makeup-through-the-years-1930s/


Gone was the coquettish girl of the late Victorian era, to a more independent woman


1930s iconic look
 
One clear thing all women shared was the pencil thin eyebrow. The heavy kohl eye-shadows of the 1920s vamp made way for newer and lighter shades. Cream eye-shadows began to appear from the big cosmetic names like Max factor who also launched the decade with his Lip Gloss and later in 1937 – Pancake water soluble makeup. Helena Rubinstein launched the first commercial water-proof mascara in 1939. Lipstick sales went through the roof and there wasn’t a magazine on a stall that didn’t have a pouting face staring back – advertising the lipsticks of names like Coty, Tangee, and Max Factor. The British Daily Mail” reported in 1931 that 1,500 lipsticks were being sold to women for every 1 being sold in 1921! Mascara was now in every girl’s makeup kit – a cake or bar with a brush to apply
 
 

inspiration



Adopted from theatrical makeup sticks, the eyeliner pencil to some extent took over from the heavy kohl look of the 1920s. Now women began to contour the eye, tracing a triangle effect from the tear duct out to and beyond the natural edge of the eye – thus widening an adding further feminine emphasis to the face. The lips lost the rosebud effect of the previous decade and adopted a thinner line, but now with a host of color palettes to choose from. Popular lipstick colors included dark reds, maroons and raspberry tones.

Hollywood influenced a more refined and glamorous look, with pale ivory foundations. Eye-shadows now had expanded to a palette of colors – particular alluring pinks and shimmering greens.

http://glamourdaze.com/history-of-makeup/1930s
moodboard
 

Tin man 1939 – 23/10/15
Products used:

o   Moisturiser
o   Concealer
o   Foundation
o   Eyeshadow
o   Glitter
o   Eyeliner
o   Lip gloss

 

Today in class we were told to be creative with a character from a movie, and not to copy an original design. I decided to think out of the box to do a 1930’s film, The Wizard Of Oz. Instead of trying to do an easy makeup like Dorothy, I decided to try to make my own creation of the tin man. My look would use a lot of silver!

 

I started off with the usual routine of cleansing and moisturising the skin prepping it for the makeup. I didn’t want to paint the face silver like the original character because there would be nowhere else to go with it, so I decided to use a normal foundation base that matched my models skin colour. I then tried to contour the cheeks with a silver eyeshadow, but it wasn’t showing up on the skin very well, however it did create a nice shadow effect. I then decided to add glitter on top to create a much stronger contour. So I used it along the cheeks, on the forehead and along the nose, just like how you would do a modern contour as I wanted some modern factors in my design.

 

For the eye brows, I was going to block them out to paint them on with a dark silver paint, but I felt it would take up too much of the time and it could mess the rest of the look, so I decided to just add a bit of glitter to them to give them the ‘tin man’ look instead of having them like an everyday look, however they are still a modern shape.

 

For the eyes, I decided to go for a black smokey eye, using a black eye shadow on the crease and blending it out. I then added a silver sparkle eyeshadow to the lid and sparkles on the tear ducts, keeping with the tin man theme. I then used a black eyeliner marker to create a perfect winged eyeliner, as I wanted to keep it quite pretty, because it was on a female model so I felt it needed to have feminine features. I then finished the eyes with mascara on the top and bottom eyelashes to make the eyes stand out more. If this was for TV, I would add fake eyelashes to complete the look as I think they would make it complete

 

I then moved onto the lips. I tried to give the lips a faint silver sparkle tone, nothing too bold but it was very hard to see the light silver colour, so I had to make them quite dark so it would be noticeable in the camera for the picture. I added a gloss over the top so it would appear wet and different from the rest of the face.

 

Overall I felt my look was very different and it was fun to do! I thought I did well by thinking out of the box, but if I were to do a professional look, I would not use this design, or I would take elements of it. I felt it was a bit too silver, but then it was meant to be a recreation of the Tin Man, who is painted all silver! If I were to do this for a film or tv, I would make sure it was a much stronger colour of silver and I would make sure to do everything more precise. I would also then add eyelashes and set the look with a setting spray so it lasted for filming. I would use a much stronger silver from a professional brand, such as Kryloan or Mac as their products are made for professional use

tin man look
 

No comments:

Post a Comment